Thursday, June 5, 2008

My Unique Body


New Plans! We leave for Utah tomorrow (not Saturday) via private jet. On board: my brother Ken, my sister Tricia, my daughter Kelty and ME, along with a few pounds of titantium - my new lifetime companion.


Speaking of titanium, I wanted show off my new and relatively unique insides. I have eighteen 'pedicle' screws, approx. four inches long. They are attached to the bone of the spine. Then, there are two rods which run the length of my spine. They were shaped in the operating room in order to manipulate my spine out of it's curvature and into correct alignment. Since the rods are connected to the screws which are attached to the spine, the spine was forcibly moved into its new position. In other words, they cranked my spine with the help of the rods, changing my curvature from 65* to 24*. That must have taken amazing FORCE!


Three of my ribs were detached and repositioned into a more appropriate location, eliminating my rib hump. Bone grafts were taken from my 40 year old fusions and the ribs which were repositioned. As I move around, I can feel all those bits of bone making unearthly music. The doctor says I needn't worry about the crunching sounds, they will go away as the bone starts to fuse during the next few months.

No comments: